Tuesday, March 12, 2013

A little bit of magic

I want you to know that every day I am in my classroom a little bit of magic happens. I never really thought of it as magic. When I leave my house in the morning, I tell my family I am going to "work." Work implies something that takes effort. It requires an exertion, or energy to make it happen. This whole time I have been calling it work, when it really should have been called "The Simons Spectacular Spectacle"! (how's that for alliteration?). When I come to school, I'm not working, I'm watching a magic show. It didn't dawn on me until I was looking at a magic hat I have sitting on the top of my cupboards. Yesterday I caught sight of it, and I thought, "We are a magic show." I am paid to watch a magic show every day! When I think back to the beginning of the year, and where my apprentices were, I realize what a long way we have come. I have readers in my room! READERS! They read with fluency, intonation, and they read because they want to read. What a privilege it is to be able to watch this happen. How lucky am I to be a part of this show? We have this unique magic at our school called books, that allow us to see transformations right before our eyes. Sometimes the tricks appear out of thin air, and some of them happen slowly, and with many errors. The point is, try to see every day as a magic show. Yes, your show is unscripted, and sometimes involves getting your body sawed in half (figuratively speaking), but it is a show. You are the magician. The magic happens because you are there. Your apprentices know when gimmicks are involved. They eagerly await coming to school because their magician has always put on the greatest show on Earth! 
Here's to you, fellow magicians!

No comments:

Post a Comment