Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Read Baby Read: Summer Reading Edition

Are you looking for some great books to take with you to the beach? I know I'm always on the lookout for great books that will keep me captivated as I soak up some rays, and enjoy my vacation. I'm prepared to give you a list of great books to pack in your beach bag!

The Promise of Stardust by Priscille Sibley
I just finished this book yesterday, and it will be one that I run around town telling everyone to read! This was Priscille Sibley's debut (yes, debut) novel, and it was a beautifully written book about the struggle between life and death. What if you wanted to be taken off of life support, but your husband disagreed? After Elle McClure falls from a ladder, she is pronounced brain dead, and clinically dead. The life support machines are keeping her alive, and her husband Matt refuses to turn it off. The struggle that this husband has is with himself, his family, and friends. No one, save for a few people, believe he is doing the right thing by keeping Elle alive. Years prior to her accident, Elle and her brother Christopher had watched her mother, dying of breast cancer, rot away in a hospital bed kept in their living room. She spent nights writhing in pain, and Elle knew that was not the way she ever wanted to die. In fact, she made sure of it. However, Matt has another reason for keeping Elle alive. 
This book is a must-read! I just devoured it, and this is one of those books where you are sad it is over. I didn't want it to end. Well done, Priscille! a five-star read!   

Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight


I am part of a group of the most wonderful people online, and this was our Book Lovers Unite book club selection for June, and it did not disappoint. The story takes place at a prestigious private school in New York, and it has undertones of Gossip Girl, but think Gossip Girls meets Mean Girls. A double dose of bad behavior, and privileged white kids! It's super juicy. 
Here is the scoop on the book: Amelia dies under mysterious circumstances, and this book takes you on a wild ride to find out what happened to her. Was Amelia murdered? Her mother is caught up in trying to resolve her death, and uncovers little by little the real truth about what happened to Amelia. You will be SHOCKED by the ending! It was a page turner. 

Finally...the best book I never read!
The Light Between The Oceans by M.L. Stedman
I'm calling this section, the best book I never read because this book has been recommended and loved over and over, and one of my friends used all caps in a text, and told me I must read this one. So, I'm including it in a list of books you should be reading over the summer with me! I took this synopsis from Amazon so you have an idea what the book is about. After four harrowing years on the Western Front, Tom Sherbourne returns to Australia and takes a job as the lighthouse keeper on Janus Rock, nearly half a days journey from the coast. To this isolated island, where the supply boat comes once a season, Tom brings a young, bold, and loving wife, Isabel. Years later, after two miscarriages and one stillbirth, the grieving Isabel hears a babys cries on the wind. A boat has washed up onshore carrying a dead man and a living baby.

Tom, who keeps meticulous records and whose moral principles have withstood a horrific war, wants to report the man and infant immediately. But Isabel insists the baby is a gift from God, and against Toms judgment, they claim her as their own and name her Lucy. When she is two, Tom and Isabel return to the mainland and are reminded that there are other people in the world. Their choice has devastated one of them.

I hope you enjoyed this post, and stick around, because The Lake House post is coming up! (it includes a giveaway).

Happy Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment