Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Rising Strong

Rising Strong by Brene Brown
Penguin Random House Audio

This audio has been one of the best books I have listened to in a very long time. I know it may have made me seem crazy to the people driving or walking near me, but I found myself nodding over and over again at the words spoken by the author. In just the title, the word rumble jumps out at me. Of late, rumbles have been my M.O. One thing I can hang my hat on is that I have always gotten up from the rumble and continued to fight. In this newest book, Brene revisits vulnerability and what it means in our lives. When you dare to be vulnerable, you are, on a daily basis, volunteering to get your butt kicked by people. The truth is, if vulnerability is part of your life, you will inevitably get knocked down. Life cannot always be sunshine and stars. 

But, it is not so much about getting knocked down, but in showing up every day to be in the arena. Large or small, the arena is the test of strength. In theory, we show up to the "arena" every day. I feel like being vulnerable has allowed me to walk away the victor in the arena. I have been taking steps to put myself out there, and to be honest and open and to share some of what I have with others. Has that always made me feel accepted? Hell no! I feel like I have been virtually hit...hard. I would be lying if I said I did not feel bedraggled by life, and all of the troubles I have recently faced. But you know what? I am so much stronger than I ever thought I was. The appropriate timing of this audio has provided a perfect ointment for the bumps and bruises of my life. Many thanks for the audio. I highly encourage you to get it for yourself. 

Happy listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment