Tuesday, June 14, 2016

I'm Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid

I'm Thinking of Ending Things
By Iain Reid
With a story that keeps you on your toes from start to finish, I have to applaud Iain Reid on his debut novel. About halfway into the book things start looking really odd when Jake and his girlfriend arrive at the farm house. Up until this point, you just think Jake and his girlfriend are just a normal couple. The story of the pigs had me closing my eyes, and swallowing a big lump down my throat. The whole tale, including the commentary sections that reveal what happened leaves you wondering who the Caller is, who has been killed, and how everything is connected in the whole story. When you begin with a line like "I should have ended things", you know you are in for a book that will leave you guessing (and horrified) but will also have you checking your caller I.D. a little closely now. Sleeping with the lights on for a bit now. You have been warned!

Synopsis via Amazon
In this smart, suspenseful, and intense literary thriller, debut novelist Iain Reid explores the depths of the human psyche, questioning consciousness, free will, the value of relationships, fear, and the limitations of solitude. Reminiscent of Jose Saramago’s early work, Michel Faber’s cult classic Under the Skin, and Lionel Shriver’s We Need to Talk about KevinI’m Thinking of Ending Things is an edgy, haunting debut. Tense, gripping, and atmospheric, this novel pulls you in from the very first page…and never lets you go.

Happy Reading!
*Thank you to Gallery/Scout Press for my copy of  I'm Thinking of Ending Things*

No comments:

Post a Comment