Saturday, March 17, 2012

Book #6 of 2012-Done!

Just finished Outside the Lines. It was sort of bittersweet for me because I felt like I was left hanging! In true fashion to the tone of her book, Amy Hatvany did not tie it up neatly. She wove the story with an element of the unknown, just like mental illness. You never know how it is going to hit you. However, it is worth a read. I'm happy enough (the control freak in me wants to know EVERYTHING!).

As I was reading the book during my daughter's gymnastics class, a couple sitting next to me interrupted my reading to ask me what I was reading. We got into a conversation about parents, and about how our generation of parents are failing kids. By the way, I don't feel like we are failing our kids. Not all of us. The issue of failing our kids is not unique to this generation. Parents have been failing their children for generations. Want a good read about failing your kids? Read The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls.  Her dad wins the jacked-up parent award, and that was a long time ago!

The moral of the story is: do the best you can for your children. Spend time (not money) with them. That's what they'll remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment