Monday, December 2, 2013

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion


The Rosie Project was a book I had looked forward to for many months, and garnered a ton of great press prior to its publication date. I saw it everywhere-5 stars! 5 stars! I was surprised when it took me a while to get into the book, but once I became accustomed to the idea of a man approximating everyone's BMI prior to launching into their relevance, I enjoyed the book. Don Tillman is a professor who has Asperger's (although at a book club discussion there was some dispute regarding whether or not he had this form of Autism himself. I tend to think he has Asperger's). Don encounters Rosie, a psych student who is on the lookout for her biological father. The whole meeting was arranged by Don's philandering colleague, Gene. Rosie's mother was a doctor, and died before revealing the identity of Rosie's father. Don is a renowned genetic scientist, and agrees to help Rosie test "samples" of all possible fathers. I'd be lying to you if I told you I didn't truly loved Rosie. I wanted her to find her father, but was ultimately puzzled by her unwavering trust in Don. His character can be obnoxious at time, but that may be my interpretation. I found many of the things he did endearing, and his commitment to help Rosie won the affection of my heart. I have to say, I don't think I would be as understanding as she was about Don's quirkiness. This book is not lengthy, and it really is a great story which I will be shocked if it is not picked up as a movie. I was casting characters in my brain while reading it. A solid 4-star book!
Melody, teacher, approximate BMI 20. (hehe)

1 comment:

  1. The Rosie Project is a funn read about a nerdy man, with a checklist, looking for a wife, I recommend it highly!

    ReplyDelete