Sunday, February 17, 2013

Wallflower in Bloom by Claire Cook


I recently finished the book Wallflower in Bloom by Claire Cook. It was an enjoyable read about a woman named Deidre who has been overshadowed by her very popular older brother, Tag. Tag is charismatic, and gregarious, and wins the attention of most people he comes in contact with. Deidre is the behind-the-scenes coordinator who makes sure that Tag's life doesn't fall apart. When Deidre sees the opportunity to go on Dancing with The Stars, she seizes the chance. She finally decides that it is time she made herself a priority.
I can certainly identify with the premise of the story-a woman who puts everyone else's needs before her own. It's only been very recently that I have started to do things for myself. I have a trainer to help me lose weight/work out, and I have been watching what I eat much more closely than I have in the past. It is tough to have that "I'll do what I want" attitude as a woman, and especially tough if you are a mother. The older I get, the more I realize how important it is to make yourself happy, and to be content. If you do not experience happiness internally, it is difficult to help others attain that happiness. You become that nit-picky, less-likeable version of yourself. The version of yourself you don't like. I am a million times happier now that I have learned to balance my own needs with the needs of my family. I thought this was a light-hearted, enjoyable read. I really grew to love Deidre and her umph by the end of the book.
If you haven't read any of her books, you are probably familiar with  the movie Must Love Dogs (love that movie), which was based on a book she wrote. What I love most about Claire is that she is fantastic about connecting with her fans on Facebook and Twitter.
Here is Claire's Website.  She has a new book coming out which sounds fantastic. Visit her site for information on pre-order, and to read a blurb about what the new novel will be about.

*The thoughts on this page are mine, and mine alone. I have not been compensated, in any way, by a publisher for this review.*

No comments:

Post a Comment